Built in 1970, South Albany occupies the largest facility in the Albany School District: more than 36 acres of grounds, classrooms and other facilities. The school serves approximately 1350 children from the Clover Ridge, Timber Ridge, Lafayette, Oak, Periwinkle, South Shore,Sunrise and Tangent attendance areas.
A Comprehensive Education Utilizing Exceptional Staff
South Albany has maintained an exceptional industrial arts program (auto, metals, masonry, woods, construction, drafting, and electronics) as well as award winning art, band, choir, family and consumer studies programs, in addition to a vibrant core academic program. Students have the opportunity to explore a wide variety of interests as well as completing college preparatory programs.
Upon entering South Albany High School, students develop a 4-year plan with advice from their Counselors and Guide Group Advisors. Opportunities for selecting a pathway for college and career goals are abundant as a comprehensive program is available for all students. South Albany also:
- Supports student achievement towards Oregon’s certificates of mastery and college-admission standards.
- Offers courses in conjunction with Linn-Benton Community College and Oregon State University.
- Provides opportunities for student led businesses, project-based learning and authentic assessment.
- Advance Placement course offerings in Communications, Social Studies, Mathematics and Science.
- On-line and proficiency-based credit opportunities.
- Provides College Now aligned courses for dual high school and college credit.
- Trimester Achievers Recognition
- Redhawk PRIDE Recognition
- Redhawk of the Month Recognition
- Academic Block Letter Recognition
- Honors Diploma Recognition
- Highest Honors Recognition for Valedictorian Candidates
Special Education Department
Promotes the school’s goal of individual attainment at the highest level, special-education personnel create opportunities for students in classrooms and work sites. Team Teaching environments provide students with increased academic support in math and reading.
Student government representatives and interested student participate in community service projects, leadership development opportunities and school activities. Project IGNITE pairs student leaders with incoming freshmen to provide a positive transition to high school. Meetings throughout the year support freshmen students to experience a successful first year of high school.
Interscholastic Athletics – We have the following school sponsored teams / club sports:
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
Activities – We have the following school sponsored activities, clubs and organizations:
- Auto Mechanics
- Industrial Education
- Spanish Club
- Student Congress
- Pep Band
- Mat Rally
- Acapella & Concert Choirs
- Drama Club
- Art Club
- Controversial Issues Club
- Southern Belles & Gent
- German Club
- Jazz Choir
- Sentry Newspaper
- National Honor Society
- Sapere Aude Yearbook
- Book Club
- Political Awareness
- First Aid Club
- IGNITE Mentors & Tutors
- Calculus Club
- Mundos Differentes Club
- Dare To Dream
- Key Club
- Science Fiction Club
- Chess Club
- Key Club
- Tri-M Music Honor Society
- Strike Out
- Skills USA
Parents Are Our Partners
- Site Council
Parents play the role of key partners in developing our curriculum and instructional programs as a 21st Century School.
- Booster Club
Provides vital support for our athletic teams and students.
Our Focus For Improvement
- Ensure high academic achievement by incrementally raising performance, both individually and globally.
- Provide information and support services so that all students can make informed career and educational choices.
- Teach, model, monitor and reward character development.
- Improve the reading and math skills and OAKS scores of all our students.