We are excited to announce Rebels Rising, South Albany High School’s initiative to expand to a Community School model.
For parents and guardians this will mean an increase in after-school academic and educational programs and resources for your student. Parents, there is NO cost to your student to utilize these resources! There will also be parent opportunities to get more involved at the school through volunteering, leadership, and community classes. We will also be incorporating more training opportunities to help prepare your student for entering the workforce and connecting them more to local professionals.
The dates for programs are April 25 through June 1. Programs will be available every Tuesday and Thursday for 6 weeks. Below is the current schedule for academic and enrichment programs. You can view activity descriptions by clicking here.
2:45-2:55pm School ends and students transition to programs in the commons/cafeteria
2:55-3:35pm Academic support programs available in the commons/cafeteria
3:35-3:40pm Transition to enrichment in assigned classrooms
3:40-4:30pm Enrichment programs available in assigned classrooms
4:30-4:45 pm Meal pick-up and departure from the commons/cafeteria
4:51pm City bus (Autobus) will depart or parents can pick-up
A Community School is both a place and a set of partnerships between the school and its surrounding community. It has an integrated focus on academics, youth development, family support, health and social services, and community development. Through strategic partnerships that we are developing we will increase equitable access and opportunity for post-secondary success by empowering students to find self-fulfillment and guiding them towards tangible career related goals.
This will be accomplished through initiatives that involve the following:
- Strategic academic success support programs
- Career related experiences that offer real-world work experience and develop knowledge relevant to the pathway as well as soft skills to increase employability
- Parent partnerships and role identification in educational outcomes for their student
- Resources and supports for any health and social barriers that can impact student success
- Accessible opportunities for students and families to immerse in the community through integrated activities
If you are community member or organization that would like to support our efforts, please click here to learn about ways you can get involved.